When it comes to fashion, there are some basic principles that apply to almost everyone. One of those basic universal rules is that darker colors make you look slimmer. According to a study by the University of California at Berkeley, women who wear light-colored clothing tend to appear larger than those who wear dark-colored clothes. This post will tell you that why do light-colored clothes make you look more fat.
Table of Contents
Why do light colored clothes make you look more fat?
The reason light-colored clothes make you look fat is that they reflect light back onto your body, making you appear larger than you actually are. Wearing dark colors will absorb the light and make you appear smaller. If you want to look slimmer, avoid wearing light-colored clothing.
What colors make you look thinner?
Usually, dark colors make you look thinner and light colors make you look larger. But, if you’re looking to add some color to your outfit without making yourself look bigger, try pairing a light top with dark bottoms or vice versa. At the same time, check out what color clothes make you look bigger.
Prints can also be helpful in creating the illusion of a slimmer figure. Vertical stripes elongate the body while horizontal stripes can make you appear wider. So, if you’re trying to downplay your curves, reach for a shirt with vertical stripes or go for a darker print on top and a lighter print on the bottom.
Simple Color Combinations You Can Wear to Look Slimmer
- Light-colored clothes can make you look more fat because they tend to reflect light. This means that any imperfections in your figure will be more noticeable. However, there are some simple color combinations that you can wear to look slimmer.
- Try pairing a light top with a dark bottom. This will create the illusion of a slim waistline. If you’re wearing a dress, opt for a style that cinches in at the waist. This will give the appearance of an hourglass figure.
Related Post: Are black and white strips slimming?
- Another slimming trick is to wear monochromatic outfits. That is, stick to one color from head to toe. This will elongate your silhouette and make you appear taller and thinner. Check out this guide to know how to look slimmer and taller. Black is always a good choice for looking slim, but other dark colors like navy and forest green can also be flattering.
- If you want to add a pop of color to your outfit, try doing so with accessories instead of clothing. A brightly colored scarf or handbag can brighten up any look without adding bulk.
Rules for How to Wear Colors to Look Thinner
Wearing colors can be a great way to help you look thinner. Here are a few rules to follow:
1. Avoid busy patterns
Busy patterns can make you look larger than solid colors. Choose simple patterns or stick to solid colors. Talking about patterns, here are some best strips patterns for plus size.
2. Go for fitted clothing
Clothing that is too loose will make you look bigger than clothing that is fitted. Choose items that flatter your figure and accentuate your curves.
3. Avoid wearing a lot of accessories
Accessories can also make you look bigger. If you wear a lot of jewelry, for example, choose jewelry that is simple and goes with the color of your outfit.
Colors That Make You Look Heavier
Most people think that wearing light colors will make them look thinner, but this isn’t always the case. If you’re not careful, light colors can actually make you look heavier than you are.
Here are some colors that tend to make you look heavier:
White is a very unforgiving color. It shows every lump and bumps, so it’s best to avoid it if you’re trying to look slim. For my overweight beauties, discover your inner style icon with this trending guide.
Everyone can fully agree that light green is one of the most unflattering colours for plus-size women. It’s better to wear dark green or teal than to wear light green.
Beige is often seen as a “safe” color, but it can actually make you look bigger than you are. Stick to darker shades of beige if you want to avoid this problem.
Yellow is a color that will make you look fatter. This is because yellow doesn’t absorb as much of the light that hits it, which means that it reflects light back at the viewer. This means that it will make you look heavier.
Why do light colored clothes make you look more fat? – Now you know all about it. If you want to avoid looking like you’ve gained a few extra pounds, it’s best to stay away from light-colored clothing. Wearing white or other light colors will make any bulges or bumps more noticeable, which can leave you feeling self-conscious and uncomfortable. Instead, reach for darker hues that will help slim your figure and give you the confidence boost you need to take on your day. Why do light-colored clothes make you look more fat? Now you know all about it.
Sophia Dcruz is not just an author at Curvardrobe; she’s a passionate advocate for self-love, body positivity, and all things fashion. With a genuine desire to empower plus-size women, Sophia brings a unique blend of style expertise and a heartfelt commitment to her role as a writer and influencer.